HMS Agamemnon

HMS Agamemnon

HMS Agamemnon

The Agamemnon was one of seven ships built to the same design. It was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, the same naval architect who designed the famous ship "Victory".

Agamemnon was launched on 10 April 1781. Her dimensions were: 160 feet long and 44 feet wide, with a displacement of 1,300 tons. She had 64 guns, distributed in three decks, and a crew of 490 men.

She became famous for being the first ship commanded by Lord Nelson in 1793. Although initially disappointed that he had not been given command of a 74 gun ship, Nelson soon grew fond of Agamemnon, despite losing the sight of his right eye during his command of the ship.

In June 1796 Nelson was transferred to a 74 gun ship, so the Agamemnon returned to England for repairs, returning to service in 1797, when it participated in many battles, including the decisive battle of Trafalgar in 1805, which gave Britain naval supremacy during that century.

She later served in South America until she was wrecked in Maldonado Bay off the coast of Uruguay on the 16 June 1809. Divers have recently discovered the remains of HMS Agamemnon on the bottom of Maldonado Bay after a six-year search by marine archaeologists.

[Home] [About] [Contact Us] [Services] [Photo Gallery] [Photos]